*Full-time position based in locations like Pulau Carey, Pulau Tuba and Batu Pahat.
Every Community Educator (CE) is the backbone of our organisation. They carry and uphold our vision by having an in-depth understanding of our values and passionately execute our unique cause to educate an underserved community that consists of school students, children, parents, teachers and other community members.
As a Community Educator, your contribution will be immense in terms of transforming the lives of the marginalised through your passion for teaching and delivering a satisfying, futuristic educational experience to your students. We believe education to be the most powerful weapon in the world to fight poverty. Your role is therefore crucial in the long run for them to feel and be empowered enough to design their own future and finally break the cycle of poverty.
Education and community development go hand-in-hand for a Community Educator. We are looking for someone who is able to teach with passion, analytical about the social impact that our educational programmes create and how it in turn, affects the development of the community. All of our community centres function based on offering free English, Digital Skills & Personal Development education to underserved communities.
If you have some experience in this field of work, you will already have a sense of what to expect. This role requires a high level of dedication and determination from you, mostly because you will be at work with a society that is in dire need for effective interventions to thrive in today’s world.
What you should expect
As a Community Educator, this will be a unique opportunity for you to experience living in a rural community and being in a position to educate and serve people from underprivileged backgrounds. In the process, you will gain a lot of cultural experiences and knowledge in relation to the lifestyle in rural areas. The organization will provide you all the necessities such as on hands or virtual training as deemed fit, teaching materials, accommodation, HQ support and any other support that is deemed fit so that you can produce high impact work at the community centre while handling the challenges that come along with it. You will be immersed in the local community on a daily basis and be part of a strong team who are all dedicated to empower and help people through free education.
What do I get?
An opportunity for growth - personally and professionally.
Create Real Impact
Know that the work you do changes lives every single day.
Work in the New Normal
Use technology to increase work productivity and effectiveness.
What do I need?
- Able to commit to a minimum of 1-month training + 10 – 12 months placement to gain full exposure;
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree;
- Must be mobile and have a car or motorcycle licence;
- IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge or any other English qualifications are not necessary, but an advantage.
- Passionate about being in charge of a Community Centre made to serve the marginalised community;
- Experienced in teaching English in a structured manner (preferred);
- Dedicated to educating an underserved community raised in poverty;
- Positive about influencing a community for the better through your free education;
- Enthusiastic about creating a positive learning environment that caters the beneficiaries needs;
- Able to manage, administer and execute the operation of running a centre;
- Able to cooperate closely with your colleagues & beneficiaries
Preferred Experience and Knowledge
- A Minimum of 3-5 years working experience in teaching, training or community work.
- The TESOL/CELTA certificate is an advantage.
- Knowledge in pedagogy, curriculum development, B40 community.
Necessary technical, functional or language skills
- Proficient in English (minimum CEFR Level C1);
- High proficiency in written and spoken Bahasa Malaysia;
- Must have the ability to report remotely to work on a regular and punctual basis, despite working a flexible schedule;
- Passionate in community development and management in both individual and wide community intervention;
- Working knowledge and implementation of Google Suites, computers and current communication technology as work tools.
- Strong proficiency in English (oral and written);
- Excellent people and community skill;
- Ability to establish and maintain a cooperative and effective working relationship with others;
- Understanding of SOLS 24/7 values, principles and objectives and demonstrated the ability to put them into practice in the workplace;
- Proven ability in the areas of organization skills, conflict resolution, advocacy and group facilitation;
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a multidisciplinary team;
What will I do?
- Student recruitment;
- Planning lessons and preparing classes;
- Centering their teaching according to the education needs of students;
- Teaching according to the SOLS 24/7 Science of Language System modules;
- Attain and maintain student participation and interaction.
- Coaching and training community champions to create the opportunity for the sustainability of the community development efforts.
Community Engagement (15%)
- Daily management of a Community Centre;
- Collaborate and work with local community leaders;
- Establish and maintain good relationships with the local community;
- Create and implement community activities and programmes such as sports, environmental awareness, etc.
Other Activities (15%)
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports;
- Provide students with advice on future career paths;
- Immerse yourself and try to understand the lives of the local community.
What is working in SOLS 24/7 like?
Interested in the position?
SOLS 24/7 Foundation
Being a part of our foundation means that you will share our vision that people from all communities – regardless of race, religion or gender, will equally have education and social empowerment services accessible. We have a vision that will ensure developed societies with equal opportunities for all. We are an impact-driven humanitarian organisation that values transparency in our collaboration with partners which ensures that our devotion to serving the underserved communities helps break the cycle of poverty. We always aim for long-term sustainable solutions to be implemented which requires that we as an organisation are adequate in our services to the community.
We work hard every day for the sake of giving back to the community. We operate through a diverse range of high-impact programmes designed to increase the opportunities and quality of life for beneficiaries from many different underserved communities. We conduct our programmes through our foundation’s 4 main sectors: education, technology, mental health and renewable energy.
If you have any questions regarding the position, contact us.